Welcome to Snippets of Suri!
– Born in Singapore.
– Grew up in Selatpanjang, Riau, Indonesia until I finished Primary Six (Year 6). Selatpanjang is a very small town, with no airport, no cars and no shopping malls (are you intrigued yet? You can read more about my hometown here).
– Had an accident when I was 2 years old. Long story short, a glass fell into my right eye, injured the nerves and caused my eye to lose total vision. I grew up with my right eye looking significantly different from my left eye – my right eye was much smaller and iris was whitish with blue spots. This caused me to lose self-confidence and was scared of having eye contact.
– In 2017, I finally had the courage to undergo an e-nucleation surgery to remove my right eye so that I can put on a prosthetic. It was a very hard decision to make but I am extremely glad I did. Not only it is cosmetically beneficial but it is much easier to maintain.
– Moved to Singapore in 2000 for Secondary School and lived there for 4.5 years. Actually, the main reason for leaving Indonesia was because of the 1998 riot/civil unrest, which started in Java. Majority of the Chinese-descendants were the targets of this civil unrest. I do not want to get into the politics here but it was very unsafe for us especially females.
– Moved to Melbourne, Australia in 2005 for Foundation Studies, then undergraduate study and then was offered scholarships for doctoral study. Finally graduated from my Ph.D. in 2015.
– Lived in Lansing, Michigan, USA for almost a year to start my first postdoctoral research work.
– Lived in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada for 2 years to continue my postdoctoral research work.
– Currently calling Melbourne, Australia home and have since lived in one of the most liveable cities in the world for collectively ~13 years now.
– Little bit of a nomad as you can see here – lived in 5 different countries spanning 3 different continents. This has fuelled my interests and curiosities of the plethora of different cultures that exist in this world. Traveling allow me to experience and learn about these cultures one at a time, which I am so hopelessly addicted to it! Traveling is absolutely invigorating and inspiring!
– Love photography. To be able to capture the uniqueness and beauty of a particular place, people, animals or object is a blessing for me. Also love how a photo can convey certain emotions – this is something I was trying to portray in this Photobook.
– Love trying different cuisines and local food. Love cooking, baking and trying different recipes (although I have not done much lately due to constant travels) and sharing the food I made with friends and family.
About This Blog:
– Documents from my travels, photography and food experiences.
– Travel tips, photography techniques and food recipes.
My mission is to inspire and educate readers of our beautiful world that is filled with interesting and different kinds of people and cultures and hopefully you are encouraged to explore and capture this beautiful world that we live in.
Thank you all for visiting my website and reading my work. It is an honour to write about my passions and share them with so many people from around the world! I am truly blessed and hoping to keep sharing these experiences as I journey through them.
I would really love to hear from you too! Come and Say Hi by Clicking Here!
Follow this blog using the link at the footer! Please share it with your friends and families too 😀 You are most welcome to share and/or use any of the materials in this website but please credit it to me or provide a link to my website 🙂
Once again, welcome! Look around! I am sure you will stumble into something you like 🙂